Tuesday 12 September 2017

Day 16 Japan - Takayama to Fujikawaguchiko

07 September
Day 16 Japan

I really enjoyed Takayama.  It's a beautiful quiet city to visit.  I wouldn't say it had any really big-ticket or unique things to see or do but it's a great low-key stop in Japan to just relax for a day or two.

I have another big travel day today.  I'm going to go visit that most iconic Japanese site ... Mount Fuji!  It's going to take me something like 7 hours to get there.  Backtrack to Nagoya then a couple of connections through to the town of Fujikawaguchiko in the Fuji Lakes district.

I get to start with the train ride from Takayama back to Nagoya and again experience that spectacular terrain.  The trains today were comfortable again but nothing else has beaten the scenery of that particular ride yet.

I almost missed my connection from Nagoya because I was getting a new SIM card and charging cable for my iPad.  Across the road from the station was an electronics store where I could get both (score!) but the feller setting up my SIM was a bit pushed for time.  I showed him my train ticket and a look of panic ran across his face then he ran off to get what he needed.

I helped out as much as I could filling out the form on the system for him while he did the setup stuff.  I managed to pay and had working internet again but I'm not sure the paperwork was all in order.  Whatever - not my problem now!   I made it with 2 minutes to spare.

A not too terrible shot of the river

Joining 2 trains together for the ride to Kawaguchiko station


I booked a hostel in Fujikawaguchiko called Hostel Mt Fuji.  Originally I booked this place because the reviews were really good and Hotels.com showed it to be pretty close to the lake.  The location is actually nowhere near that shown on Hotels.com but since I had booked (and the free cancellation window was over :) I decided to go with it.  That was a good decision as it was a great place with a great host and the location wasn't inconvenient.

So I arrived, checked in and had a good chat with the host (Machiko) about my plans in the area.  Very helpful!  After chilling out for a little bit I went out and had a bit of an explore and to find some dinner.

I really wanted to swim in the lake while I was here but apparently you're not allowed.  Seems odd considering they are happy to have boats and kayaks and whatever in the lake.  I guess capitalism wins again.

I had thought it might be a bit chilly in the mountains but the weather was great.  Still shorts and t-shirt weather.

I got the train to the main station and wandered around for a bit trying to find the town centre but there didn't seem to be one.  I was going in the wrong direction and it started to rain so I ducked into a tempura place to sit for a while and grab some dinner.  I struggle to tell good from bad tempura.  It all just seems like deep fried stuff to me.  This stuff was fine as far as I could tell.  I could still taste the meats and vegetables through the the batter so I guess that's a good sign.  This was clearly a tourist spot though.  I think 90% of the customers were Fuji climbers.

After dinner I headed down towards the lake and finally found something approximating the town centre.  There were definitely more food options down here so I wish I had kept going through the rain for a little bit.  It was full dark by the time I arrived at the lake so I couldn't see much but reflections on the water.  I walked around it for a bit though.






Went back to the hostel and tried to do some writing and trip planning but ended up chatting with Machiko and the other 2 people staying at the hostel for a couple of hours.  There was a Japanese girl (Misaki) who had just spent 6 months in South America and a Chinese guy (Arvin) living in the Phillipines and working as a tour guide there.  Misaki has climbed Fujisan the previous night and Arvin was in town to ride the roller coaster at a theme park in town. Longest / fastest coaster in the world I believe they said.  Really nice people and it was a fun relaxing night after a long travel day.

No comments:

Post a Comment