Sunday 8 October 2017

Day 3 Olkhon Island - back to Irkutsk

4 October
Day 3 Olkhon Island / Back to Irkutsk

Our bus to take us back to Irkutsk was supposed to arrive at 9.30am.  A bus did arrive but I was kicked off it when they figured out I wasn't on the list for this particular bus.

The bus Enrique and I were on didn't in fact arrive until midday.  Apparently the bus we were supposed to be on broke down so they had to find us another one.

Spent the extra time just walking around the village and playing a bit of Ingress.





Nothing too interesting to say about the bus ride back.  Was very full but fine.

Back to Irkutsk and we had to get a tram back to the hostel instead of being dropped off there.  I assured Enrique google maps gave us the right tram number so we jumped on it and were promptly told we had gotten on the wrong tram.  #chagrin

The conductor lady helpfully found an English speaking passenger and she gave us instructions on which tram to get on.  I shouldn't be at this point but I am continually surprised at how helpful people are when it comes to rescuing poor idiotic tourists.

Stopped at a small market on the way back to get some dinner to take back to the hostel then went to bed pretty early.  Amazing how much a long bus ride can take out of you.

On the whole I'm not convinced Olkhon Island was really worth the effort.  I feel like I could have got just as spectacular views from Listvyanka or the circum-Baikal railway without the 6 hours each way in a van.

No comments:

Post a Comment