Tuesday 31 October 2017

Day 3 Stockholm - not much happening

29 October
Day 3 Stockholm

Today I started out with a walk through the old town on the way to the Nobel Museum.  It definitely feels like a different style of "old town" to the Tallinn one.  Bigger, taller buildings and a different architectural style.  I think I preferred Tallinn but this was nice in its way.







The Nobel Museum was dedicated to the history of the Nobel Prizes.  I didn't know this (and maybe everyone else does) but Alfred Nobel came into his fortune by inventing dynamite.  Ironic.

The museum was pretty well done.  It isn't big but I don't think it needs to be.  It had decent sections on the life of Mr Nobel the mechanics of awarding the prizes but primarily it was small sections of information about the recipients of the awards.

If you were reallllllly interested in reading everything I think you could spend a lot of time there but after reading the profiles of a dozen or so award recipients across different categories I started to get pretty bored with the whole affair.  I think to get a lot out of this museum you would need to have a particular interest in one of the categories the awards are given out for (Physics, Economics, Literature, Chemistry, Medicine and Peace).





After the Nobel museum I went and visited a couple of sections of the Royal Palace.  Very different styles to Russian palaces and I have to say I preferred the Russian ones.  More wealth on display but far more tastefully done for the most part.







Once I was done with the palace I just sort of aimlessly wandered around for a while and realised I just didn't want to do anything else for the day.  So I took off back to the hostel, drank the beers I had in the fridge and just relaxed for a while.

Around 9pm I decided I had itchy feet and went out to do a tour of the Stockholm metro stations.  The metro is apparently referred to as the world's longest art gallery because nearly every station is decorated in some way by an artist.  So I bought a ticket and toured a few of the stations recommended by some website.  A couple of them were pretty cool (like the Mario Brothers one) but a few of the recommended ones were pretty average.  The kind of place where the intent is good but the execution is lacking.













I'm leaving Stockholm tomorrow for Copenhagen.  I can't say I've really enjoyed Stockholm that much.  I saw some really cool things (vasa museum, fotografika gallery) but overall I didn't really like the city the way I did with Moscow or Helsinki.  There's nothing wrong with the city but it's just not for me I don't think.  I can't even really put my finger on what I didn't like about it.  Maybe it's not that I disliked the city but more that I didn't like it.  I dunno.  Maybe if I throw more money at it next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment