Saturday 19 August 2017

Day 15 Mongolia - a lazy day by Lake Khuuvsghul

10 August
Day 15 Mongolia

Spending the day at the lake today and tonight in the same camp.  Showers and a ger ... luxury!

Was raining again through the night and through breakfast but started to clear up around 10am.

Breakfast was a sort of eggs benedict I think.  A scone with some local sausage (like Devon), a poached egg and a yellow sauce.  It was like a watery hollandaise or cheese sauce.  It was OK.  Something different for the trip.





A few people have gone on a 5 hour hike up a hill behind the camp.  Supposedly not as hard as the monastery hike we did a few days ago but I'm not really interested.  If I could drive up there then yeah ... let's do it!

I just hung around the camp today and relaxed.  Caught up on writing these blog entries for when I have reliable internet again.

I went for a swim in the lake after lunch.  God damn that was cold.  I think I lasted about a minute before I got out.  Very refreshing though.  The water is fantastically clear.  I went about 25 metres out and could still see the bottom.  Apparently this lake contains about 2% of the world's fresh water supply and I'd believe it.  It's about 130km long and 250 metres deep at its deepest point.

The sun actually made an appearance after lunch and it turned out to be a beautiful day.  I was sitting on the balcony reading a book in the sun and I nodded off a couple of times so went back to my ger for a nap.  It's a hard life.

Headed to dinner after my nap and the hikers had not reappeared yet.  5 hours my ass.  They finally started to rock up at about 8-8.30pm.  About 10 hours all up.  3 hours to the start of the hiking trail then another 2 hours up.  And steeper than the monastery walk.

It does sound stunning though.  They climbed up the mountain to the snow line and they had a fantastic view of the surrounding area.  I wish I'd been up there but I didn't want to walk 10 hours to do it.  I'm very comfortable with my decision not to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment