Thursday 17 August 2017

Day 5 Mongolia - Entering the Orkhon Valley

31 July
Day 5 Mongolia
Today we ventured into the Orkhon valley.

It's a world heritage or unesco site for some reason to do with Mongolia's development.  Look it up if you're interested.  It's a very beautiful place.  Everywhere you go is another photo opportunity because of the spectacular scenery.

Some of the roads are pretty terrible here.  At one point we had to get out of the truck for a particularly steep bit of road in case the truck rolled.  Was pretty cool watching it roar up the hill ... no dramas though.  There happened to be a bit of a rock formation at the top of the hill which provided spectacular views in every direction.




And Internet access!  Apparently the Mongolian government has committed to provide phone signal within 4 hours horse ride of anywhere in the country.  I'm getting internet access in the weirdest places.  And not getting it in some places I am expecting.

At some point we officially entered a national park.  At the gate there was a beautiful gorge where the Mongolian civil war was settled.  Rocky cliffs, nice river and leafy riverside area.  Spectacular.  Has some local name referencing the amount of people who died there in the war.  Sad story but excellent spot.  Sadly we couldn't get down there.  Not to worry ... plenty of excellent scenery to come.



The weather quickly changed that afternoon and a hailstorm rolled in.  Clouds coming overhead, wind picks up and dust is blowing everywhere, then finally rain and hail comes from the sky.  Not proper hail ... tIny little stones the size of peas but it was fun to see how fast the weather changed.

By the time we reached our camping spot the storm had blown over and it was a spectacular afternoon.  We camped at another beautiful gorge but arrived too late to get down there for a look this evening.







So this was our first night of wild camping.  I do not like camping.  Thankfully I had my own tent because it took me ages to faff about and get myself at least partially comfortable.

The first dinner by one of the cooking groups was pretty average.  They did some sort of chicken noodle thing ... supposed to be something like pad Thai I gathered.  Turned out to be just a mushy bunch of overcooked noodles but I'm told it was tasty enough.  I didn't eat as I wasn't feeling particularly well.

The tents are fine.  Easy to put up and roomy enough.  I just do not like this camping thing.  Give me a proper bed and a BATHROOM.

I find going to the toilet behind a tree with a shovel to be a disgusting process and something humanity should have progressed past in every part of the world.  It's not helped by the fact that I'm a big guy and not particularly flexible ... still gross.


2 comments: