Thursday 9 November 2017

Day 1 Aarhus - a bus ride and an Australian ingress player

01 November
Day 1 Aarhus

Checked out of the hostel really early to catch a BUS to Aarhus.  I haven't really done the bus thing at all because trains are just so damned comfortable but I figured I'd give it a crack.  There's this bus company called Flix bus that goes all around Europe for what seem like really cheap prices.  This trip was 4 hours and it cost $30 which seems like a bargain.  The train was double that price and only about 45 minutes shorter in terms of time.

The bus was actually pretty comfortable as well.  Power adapters, comfortable seats and a toilet built for tiny tiny people.

The bus ride was uneventful. Passed through a few towns but mostly stuck to the highway.  The scenery was very pleasant but not spectacular.  No snow here yet ... just lots and lots of green green grass.

Aarhus is the second largest city in Denmark with a staggering population of 360,000 people or so.  It was named the 2017 European Capital of Culture so it'd better live up to the hype!  I'm mostly here because Julian and John highly recommend the town (not surprising given they lived here as exchange students) and it's easy to get to from Copenhagen.  Since I have about a month to kill Denmark is as good a place to spent some time as anywhere else.

Make my way to my hotel and I'm able to check in a few hours early.  Hooray for low season!  I'm staying at the CabINN hotel chain for the next couple of nights.  Similar to the airline cabin one I stayed in in Tokyo this one is based off a ship's cabin.  2 bunks and a small bathroom in a very small room.  It's fine though.  Clean, good condition, comfortable bed, hot water and the luxury of a private room.  Happy.

And because Julian is useless I had to book rooms there for him and John also.  Apparently their bookings had failed for some reason.

Then I went out and did my usual wander around town to try and get a good look at the place.  And of course I had to buy some new shoes because I was walking around in my thongs!  I got a few odd looks but the weather was fine - not sure what the problem was.

I got a pair of shoes on the main shopping drag for much more than I wanted to pay but they were the cheapest I could find.  An hour later obviously I came across a store selling what I wanted for 1/3 of the price.  Too late by then though.



This is a beautiful town.  There's a nice canal running through the middle of town which John later tells me used to be covered by a road.  There were too many accidents on the road or something so they dug it up and turn it into a waterway and centrepiece of the city.

This place sort of reminds me of Adelaide (Aarhus) compared to Melbourne (Copenhagen).  Copenhagen is obviously the older sibling but Aarhus has developed into a cool younger version of the same thing.  I reckon this would be a great place to live.












So I wander around, play some ingress, and eventually end up back at the hotel with a couple of beers from a local brewery in tow.  A barley wine and a dubbel - both really tasty.  I'm liking the prevalence of the Belgian styles of beer since I'm in Europe.  You see them in Australia but nowhere near as many.

Sitting in my hotel room drinking my beers when I remember that I'm allowed to drink outside in public in this country!  I was about to get my shoes on and go sit in the square outside and Julian and John rock up.  As much as I enjoy being alone most of the time it's nice to see a familiar face!

They have beer in tow so we have a drink then head out for the evening.  John's looking very dapper in slacks, a collared shirt and a vest.  He'd just given a guest lecture at the Aarhus University on something Australia is doing in the law enforcement field that could be applied in Denmark.  I don't remember exactly what it was but it sounded interesting.

They are taking me out to a classic Danish restaurant in town.  We have to wait an hour for a table so we head down to the local pool hall and have a couple of games.  I'm terrible at pool and it's been months since I played so I successfully get smashed each time.

Dinner was really delicious.  I put myself in their hands and let them order the appropriate food.  Entree was a selection of herring with various accompaniments on breads.  Delicious.  I've been loving the herring I've had while I've been in this part of the world.

Looking at the menu my main was fried pork with white potatoes and parsley sauce.  I don't know if it has a traditional Danish name but it was delicious.

We also had shots of some disgusting spirit which was not good.  I was a bit of a dick and poured it in their beers which I regret but we got over it.  I was pretty tanked at that point after all the beer I drank earlier but that's no excuse for being an ass.  It's pathological I think.  At some point I just unconsciously end up being a dick (and often - consciously :).  Ah well.

Stuffed full of food we head off towards Cafe Jorden where the boys used to spend a lot of time.  Of course there was an Australian behind the bar.  Can't escape us!  The owner wasn't there but the owner's daughter was and they convinced her to write a welcome back message on the blackboard so the guys can pose for a photo.



It was quite late enough by then and I didn't want to drink anymore so back to the hotel for some sleep.  Was a fun night and nice to see a bit of the town through the eyes of these guys who have spent a lot of time here.

I can see why they like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment