Thursday 9 November 2017

Day 2 Aarhus - the excellent Moesgaard museum

02 November
Day 2 Aarhus

I met the guys for breakfast before we separated and did our own thing.  Was a nice traditional Danish smorgasbord breakfast.  Cheese, cold cuts, liver pate, fresh fruit, eggs and bread.  They also had these thin wafers of dark chocolate which are supposed to go on a piece of bread as a topping.  Sweet things go on white bread and savoury things go on rye bread apparently.

Today's plan was to hit up the Moesgaard Museum.  It was on my list and I wasn't sure I really wanted to do it but on Julian's recommendation I did.  Julian put me on a bus going the wrong way to start with - dick.

But once I got there - wow - what a great museum!

First of all the building the museum sits in is absolutely awesome.  They have turned the building into a hill.  It looks like it's been built into the side of a hill but I assume the hill came second.  It looks great though and provides a view of the ocean and surrounding countryside from on top.





The museum itself is really good as well.  It's generally a museum about archeological finds and the ethnography of the region.  They've done a great job of the exhibits using a great mix of technology traditional exhibits, lighting and use of space.  There are some great interactive exhibits and they used a lot of video to dispense information rather than making you read endless text.  There were even some animated short films as part of the museum which were quite interesting to watch and showed the info in a different way.











There was an interesting exhibit about the different way some cultures honour the dead.  They had the Day of the Dead from Mexico of course but also modern traditions from Australian Aborigines, tribes from Papua New Guinea and a few others.



Finally there was a great film exhibit talking about different aspects of the human experience.  They had short films showing a live birth, a cremation in India, religious worship in Brazil and a few others including using some VR goggles for a 3D experience with those particular films.  Really good exhibit.





After I was done with the museum proper I walked around the grounds of the museum and university in the area.  In a muddy field they had a few examples of some burial mounds from the region which honestly was pretty boring.  My poor new shoes didn't fare well in that field.







I'd ended up spending the whole day out here at the museum which is quite unusual for me.  It was no British Museum in terms of the collection but it was a much more engaging experience for me.

On the way back to the hotel I also ended up going to a lookout point on top of Salling's Department store in the city which gave some nice views of Aarhus.  Salling's has a pretty big bakery section as well so I got myself a treat which turned out to be pretty shit.






Kicked back at the hotel for a little while then went out for a walk to find some dinner.  I ended up at a Vietnamese restaurant on the edge of the city centre and had a pretty good spicy seafood soup.  Stopped in for a beer at a bar down the road but they were doing a Christmas beer tap takeover and it was just soooo busy I only stayed for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment