Friday 17 November 2017

Day 2 Copenhagen - a day trip to Helsingor

08 November
Day 2 Copenhagen

Back to flying solo!
Today I went for a day trip to Helsingor which is about a 45 minute train ride from Copenhagen.

It's a pretty cool little town with a big ass castle as the main attraction.

The castle was the seat of the Danish Royal family at some point but is now just a tourist attraction.

Got the train and made my way through the castle which was quite impressive but had nothing like the wealth that was on display in the Russian places I visited.

















They had some catacombs under the castle which were pretty cool.  There's an old Danish hero sitting under the castle who is sitting there waiting in case Denmark is threatened.  At which point he will rise and kick some ass.








After the castle I went to the nearby Maritime Museum of Denmark.  It was a pretty good museum with exhibits on the day to day life of sailors, the role of the Danish navy throughout history, and some interesting stuff around trade.

Very interactive museum with lots of games, buttons to press, things to listen to and videos to watch.

Probably the coolest thing about it though is that it's built in an old dry dock.  It's a very cool structure with angled walkways going through the dry dock linking the various parts of the museum.  I was a bit disappointed there weren't any exhibits around ship repairs or anything actually utilising the dry dock itself but the lady at reception assured me that they do use it for temporary exhibits and are doing more all the time.  Recently they had a big Lego ship in there apparently.










This was pretty cool.  The original bollards around the museum were stolen during repairs.  They put some new ones there which spell out the name of the museum in morse code.

When I was done there I had a wander through town, stopped in at the local library to take some pictures for Amy then got the train back to Copenhagen.








I can't remember what I did for dinner.  I think I might have cooked but whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment